[erlang-questions] FOP (was: Re: Trace-Driven Development)

Gustav Simonsson gustav@REDACTED
Thu Jun 7 10:06:06 CEST 2012

On 2012-06-06 12:36, Joe Armstrong wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 6, 2012 at 9:26 AM, Michael Turner
> <michael.eugene.turner@REDACTED>  wrote:
>>> What we really need is a small number of good technical writers
>>> and money to pay them.
>> Agreed. But guess what? Page after page of Erlang/OTP documentation
>> can be produced as evidence that the team doesn't have the budget for
>> it.
> Correct. The Erlang/OTP documentation  has never had a specific budget.
> The documentation has to be "good enough for internal use" -
> Internally you can "always ask the guy who wrote the code" - it is a
> source of never-ending amazement
> to me that external users can figure out how do do things *without* asking the
> authors. For external use the documentation must be better.

Today the OTP team have dedicated resources for reviewing patches. This
means that
if you write a documentation patch it's almost guaranteed to be included
following a review,
provided it improves the documentation. The time to review a
documentation change is also
typically much shorter compared to reviews of code changes, and can
often be done by
more team members.

The number of documentation patches from the open-source community has
been growing,
with a nice amount included in R15B and R15B01. Hopefully we'll see even
more doc patches
as the Erlang community grows.

Regards,
Gustav Simonsson