[erlang-questions] Trace-Driven Development

Michael Turner michael.eugene.turner@REDACTED
Tue Jun 5 09:47:02 CEST 2012

Correction: I wrote that the seq_trace documentation "shows traces
"inspired" by AXE, but without the sequence tokens
that would suggest that AXE implemented Lamport clocks -- IF it ever did."

In fact, the seq_trace documentation does feature traces with the
sequence tokens as generated by Lamport's algorithm.

My point, however, stands: "inspired" is not "virtually identical",
and definitely not in this case. In the actual AXE documentation Ulf
points to

  http://www.scribd.com/doc/83784121/AXE-System-Testing-1-Apz-212

the only counter mentioned for tracing is an "error intensity
counter." Lamport clocks generate timestamps based on *two* counters,
neither of them specific to error reporting.

Ulf describes the customer's requirements for seq_trace as "like AXE
only better". If I may suggest: Ericsson improved on the AXE traces by
adding (perhaps among other things) Lamport clocks. There is ample
evidence, in the citations and direct references in at least two
open-literature publications by Erlang luminaries, that they were
quite aware of Lamport's work. Did they just forget all about it, when
writing seq_trace? It's possible, I suppose. Or perhaps an engineer
employed by the customer suggested the feature, without mentioning
Lamport? Who knows? All I know is: if that's what you're doing, that's
what you should call it.

And speaking of what to call things: I don't think you should still be
calling seq_trace "beta", if (as Ulf says) it originated ca 1997.  I'd
do the interface differently, but the more important thing to me now
is stability and correctness.

-michael turner