[erlang-questions] more thoughts about package/dependency management

Tuncer Ayaz tuncer.ayaz@REDACTED
Mon Jun 4 00:11:02 CEST 2012

On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 4:56 PM, Tim Watson wrote:

> On 30 May 2012, at 15:40, Tuncer Ayaz wrote:
>

> > - No need for storing (meta)data in a real vcs:
>
> Ok so Eric and I were trying to avoid the need for hosting, making
> this completely free and community oriented. You want to go down
> some hosting route, that's fair enough, but who's going to provide
> the infrastructure? It worries me that this will put people off
> using the system and we'll end up getting nowhere.
>
> Apart from that I'm fine with the idea though.

<snip>

> > - We should consider leveraging existing ftp mirror networks like
> >  distros and texlive do. For both the files and index.
>
> How will this work in practice?

We'd have to figure out how the files can be distributed on existing
mirror networks. It wouldn't be the first open source project doing
that.

> > - The website can be made central, but should be avoided if possible.
>
> What does this mean? This is sounding more and more like a system
> that someone has to build and maintain. I'm *absolutely* in favour
> of doing that, but someone is going to stump up the money for it.

<snip>

> > - Hayoo like search would be nice to have in a 2nd step.
> >

> Again, this is *great* idea, but someone, somewhere, covers the cost
> of hackage/hayoo - the same applies here.

If done right, the website will be just a fancy interface for the
index and/or archives fetched. Anyone should be able to host it, but
having a single well-known address is nice to have. That hypothetical
website would be a nice to have 2nd step on top of the foundation.
It doesn't have to exist from the beginning.