[erlang-questions] more thoughts about package/dependency management

Tuncer Ayaz <>
Mon Jun 4 00:11:02 CEST 2012

On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 4:56 PM, Tim Watson wrote:
> On 30 May 2012, at 15:40, Tuncer Ayaz wrote:
> > - No need for storing (meta)data in a real vcs:
> Ok so Eric and I were trying to avoid the need for hosting, making
> this completely free and community oriented. You want to go down
> some hosting route, that's fair enough, but who's going to provide
> the infrastructure? It worries me that this will put people off
> using the system and we'll end up getting nowhere.
> Apart from that I'm fine with the idea though.

> > - We should consider leveraging existing ftp mirror networks like
> >  distros and texlive do. For both the files and index.
> How will this work in practice?

We'd have to figure out how the files can be distributed on existing
mirror networks. It wouldn't be the first open source project doing

> > - The website can be made central, but should be avoided if possible.
> What does this mean? This is sounding more and more like a system
> that someone has to build and maintain. I'm *absolutely* in favour
> of doing that, but someone is going to stump up the money for it.

> > - Hayoo like search would be nice to have in a 2nd step.
> >
> Again, this is *great* idea, but someone, somewhere, covers the cost
> of hackage/hayoo - the same applies here.

If done right, the website will be just a fancy interface for the
index and/or archives fetched. Anyone should be able to host it, but
having a single well-known address is nice to have. That hypothetical
website would be a nice to have 2nd step on top of the foundation.
It doesn't have to exist from the beginning.