[erlang-questions] unanswered beginner questions in the list

Joe Armstrong <>
Fri Jun 1 09:22:27 CEST 2012

We had an interesting discussion at the EUC.

One relatively new user observed that several new converts to Erlang
had asked questions in this
list and not gotten a reply.

I took a quick look at the list statistics and indeed this it true.

What usually happens is - I read the list every day and see a lot of
questions that I know
how to answer - but I don't immediately answer.

The reason for this is that a) I haven't time and b)  I hope somebody
else will answer
and then I won't need to.

I think it would be a good idea if those of us who might qualify as being
"knowledgeable persons" could take the trouble to occasionally answer
 questions from apparent beginners that have not been answered.

After a threshold of say 3 days - then at least *somebody* could attempt
an answer so that beginner to Erlang don't feel unloved when they
reach to this list.

Of course, some extremely knowledgable and well-known people ask
extremely difficult
questions here - and zero replies should probably
be taken as a sign that "nobody knows the answer"

We could even have volunteers among those who posses the knowledge to answer
all unanswered beginners questions.