[erlang-questions] unicode in string literals

Michael Truog mjtruog@REDACTED
Tue Jul 31 01:41:24 CEST 2012

On 07/30/2012 03:44 PM, Richard O'Keefe wrote:
> The thing that puzzles me about Erlang assuming that source files are in
> Latin 1 is that I have a tokenizer for Erlang that assumes Latin 1 and
> in every Erlang/OTP release I've checked there has been at least one
> file it tripped up on because of UTF-8 characters.
>
> When can we expect -encoding('whatever'). to be supported?

The solution with the way things are currently, is just to use modelines (within the first 3 lines of the file) which are supported in your favorite editor, vi or emacs:
% -*- coding: utf-8; Mode: erlang; tab-width: 4; c-basic-offset: 4; indent-tabs-mode: nil -*-
% ex: set softtabstop=4 tabstop=4 shiftwidth=4 expandtab fileencoding=utf-8:

You just need to make sure modeline support is turned on (vim seems to default modeline support to off).