[erlang-questions] update erlang shell prompt dynamically

Robert Virding robert.virding@REDACTED
Mon Jul 30 17:02:01 CEST 2012

There is no trick, it can't be done.

The shell sends off a request to read an erlang expression, this requests contains the prompt. The io-system prints this prompt at the start of every line entered for that input. It is not possible to change the prompt in the middle of a read request.

The reason it is done this is to be able to sensibly handle concurrent io-requests, each request behaves as an atomic transaction.

Robert