[erlang-questions] Included applications in releases : differences between r14 and r15

Russell Brown <>
Thu Jul 26 10:54:45 CEST 2012

I have an application that wants to supervise another application. Looking at http://www.erlang.org/doc/design_principles/included_applications.html it seemed that an included application was the way to go.

I added the included app like this

  {included_applications, [the_app]},

in the primary applications .app file.

When I build a release with rebar under r15 the boot script does _NOT_ start the included app, as hoped and expected. However, the exact same code and config on r14 results in this line appearing in the boost script

Which means the app is started on boot, and my subsequent call to start the top level supervisor of the included app fails with `already_started`.

What is the correct way to include an app so that it is loaded, but not started, in r14, so that I may have my primary app call the top level supervisor of the included application, please?

Also, in Learn You some Erlang, there is a section that says "don't do this"  (http://learnyousomeerlang.com/the-count-of-applications#included-applications.) Is there a better way to achieve what I am after?