[erlang-questions] How can I debug this?

Ian <>
Fri Jul 20 16:05:20 CEST 2012

Hi All,

I am attempting to work through the Chicago Boss quickstart tutorial at

I am using Windows 7 - 64 bit, and the R15B release of Erlang.  New to

First a minor bug - I think I installed the 32 bit version, removed it,
and installed the 64 bit version.  Then I discovered that the 64 bit
version's bin directory is C:\Program Files\erl5.9.1\bin but the
directory in the path was C:\Program Files (x86)\erl5.9.1\bin. That was
why nothing worked.

After that was corrected, I created the project and set up the file in
Step 4, before starting the server with start-server.bat. The werl
window flashed up an error message for a second or so - and vanished
before I could read it!

A few tries later I was able to catch it in a screen dump. The error
message was:

{"init terminating in

(copied by hand)

I know this means the server did not start up. But why, and what have I
done wrong/missed out? I have not found a init.erl file.

My project is called erlian and is in d:\erlian . The file

-module(erlian_greeting_controller, [Req]).

hello('GET', []) ->
     {output, "<strong>Erlian says hello!</strong>"}.

Help much appreciated.