[erlang-questions] Looking for slides of a lightning talk

Joe Armstrong erlang@REDACTED
Mon Jul 16 11:07:49 CEST 2012

On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 11:45 PM, CGS <cgsmcmlxxv@REDACTED> wrote:
> Hi Jan,
>
> Few thoughts here.
>
>> You are hearing things in my email that were not there when I wrote it.
>

> Sorry about that, but stating that "Erlang is just too damn difficult to do
> the easy stuff" is what I read in your message, not inventing it. And you
> said that just because of some applications (cowboy and rebar). Use erl with
> -detach and -noshell options and you have a perfect executable without
> breaking any sweat to learn how to make an application. All you need is to
> read "man erl" (you can even google it if you don't have Linux). Of course
> that's for beginners. Later on, you will learn to make applications with
> everything you need, so, you will most of the time forget about those
> options. :) Is that complex? Difficult? I don't suppose it's more difficult
> than reading about the options of any given compiler.

I think the point is that in any language it's easy to do the things that
that language was designed to do and difficult otherwise.

Erlang was designed for (among other things) distributed programming -
thus distributed programming is easy.

     Pid ! Message

and

    receive
         Pattern1 ->
               Action1;
    end

Are sufficient to write distributed programs (and a small amount of setup)

This is ridiculously easy - I'm fighting with Objective C trying to do
the same thing - I need to
know about Grand Central Dispatch (GCD) and sockets and goodness knows what just
to send a message between two machines. So in Objective C it's "really
difficult to do easy stuff"
On the other hand in Objective C it appears to be really easy to make
a window throw in a few
buttons and get them to do things when you click on them (which is
really difficult to do in Erlang)

I accept that Erlang is not good at processing images and things like
that _ but it was never intended to be good at things like that ...

/Joe