[erlang-questions] Erlang and Solaris SMF's

Chandru chandrashekhar.mullaparthi@REDACTED
Sun Jul 15 21:23:17 CEST 2012

On 28 June 2012 21:24, Heinz N. Gies <heinz@REDACTED> wrote:

> I am sure someone has asked this before but I googled for the last hour
> and have found nothing but a discussion that didn't provide a answer.
>
> My problem is that I want to run a erlang otp release as a SMF service,
> now the monitoring does not work properly, what I discovered from the
> discussion mentioned is that it seems the problem that solaris things the
> release is still running since the epmd is still up and good even so the
> application might not.
>
> What would be the best solution for this? My first guess was to create a
> empd service but that kind of gets ugly once you've more then one erlang
> release running.

We do exactly that. We have an installation script which installs epmd as a
separate SMF service, and all other erlang nodes on the machine depend on
it. When installing an erlang node, just check whether epmd is installed as
a service or not, and if not then install it.

cheers
Chandru