[erlang-questions] Local namespaces in case/try

José Valim jose.valim@REDACTED
Sun Jul 15 13:20:24 CEST 2012

> So you are against changing context (as follows from your previous
> message), and in the same time you prefer to change context of matching in
> non-obvious (without carefully observing all case's branches) way?

There are **technical** good reasons for not changing the context in
functions and comprehensions.

Erlang is made of very few constructs and you quickly learn which ones
change and which ones do not change the context. That said, I prefer to
learn how to best use these constructs and use them accordingly than to be
painted into a corner. Yes, things can get nasty if you are using such
feature in large/complex `case` (which, as you said, would require careful
observation) but any feature gets ugly if abused or not used properly.