[erlang-questions] lists, binaries or something else?

Bob Ippolito bob@REDACTED
Fri Jul 13 18:43:25 CEST 2012

If the chunks are big enough you will benefit from sending them as binary
since there won't be any copying. As others have already said, you probably
will benefit most from either an iolist or all binary scheme.

Benchmarking adding characters at a time isn't really equivalent to adding
chunks at a time, especially for large chunk sizes. Of course, adding a
chunk (or even a list if chunks) to either side of an iolist is O(1), so if
you're mostly just building these things you're really better off leaving
it like that as long as possible.