[erlang-questions] lists, binaries or something else?

Anders Nygren anders.nygren@REDACTED
Fri Jul 13 16:51:52 CEST 2012

For some cases appending to a binary is much faster, see
http://www.erlang.org/doc/efficiency_guide/binaryhandling.html#id65923

So Your simple benchmark is not fair, You are comparing the best case
for lists with the worst case for binaries. If You change it to
appending instead of prepending You will get very different results.
So as one of the first replies said "it depends".

On my machine:
For small N prepending to a list is ~2x faster than appending to a binary.
When N=1E6 appending to a binary is ~2x faster than prepending to a list.

/Anders