[erlang-questions] Erlang and bbcode

Gordon Guthrie gordon@REDACTED
Fri Jul 13 14:33:22 CEST 2012

If we go back to 1999 - so I was the Chief Technical Architect at
if.comand we spend $100m on technology.

We didn't have ANY tests at all. What we did have was a testing team of I
suppose 35 full time testers and varyingly dozens to hundreds on secondment.

If you were in the business of consuming software (unlike Ericsson) you
didn't have kit lying around.

If you split out your code base into components that are pure functions
(unit testable) and components that have side effects (system testable) you
can build good test case coverage into your dev process. But if you are an
n-tier architecture in imperative/OO languages with side-effects in almost
all modules you can only do system tests.

If you are a n-tier application (web server/Java mid-tier/mainframe
backend) no developer has access to a machine that is capable of running
'the system' - so automatic system testing is simply impossible - it is not
possible write them, let alone run them many times a day.

So what you end up with is a monolithic user testing process (at
if.com/Halifax it was 12 weeks end to end MINIMUM from developers desktop
to production) with 6 major testing gates and you beat the software into
submission.

If you look at us now at Vixo (formerly Hypernumbers) we have a BFN* of
tests and we can release from dev to production many times a day.

The reason for this is that:
* most of our code is side-effect free and is built backwards from tests -
you write a test suite and tinker about until the module passes them all
* everyone has full access to a machine which has near production
performance (ie a laptop)

We rent boxes for a couple of hundred dollars a month that we paid capital
costs of £1.5m the pair in '99

Testing may well have been invented years ago but it is still fairly recent
in bespoke commercial software development.

Gordon

* BFN is the correct mathematical term for a Big Number