[erlang-questions] Erlang get_memory_data

Gustav Simonsson gustav.simonsson@REDACTED
Fri Jul 13 11:22:03 CEST 2012

This is because the second value in the tuple returned by memsup:get_memory_data/0
does not represent "used" memory, it represents memory Linux has allocated for use
while no applications require it [1]. On my machine the function returns
{3169628160,3058540544,{<0.6.0>,213104}}
and 'free -m' reports I have 2.2 GB free for applications in the "-/+ buffers/cache"
row.

I looked briefly at the memsup source code, and it looks like the calculation that
decides whether a high watermark is set or not is based on the allocated value [2],
and not how much memory is in fact available for applications under Linux.

1. http://www.linuxatemyram.com/
2. https://github.com/erlang/otp/blob/maint/lib/os_mon/src/memsup.erl#L353

It looks like this needs to be revised for when memsup is running on Linux, so
it does not create false high memory alarms.

// Gustav Simonsson

Sent from my PC