[erlang-questions] Lockfree now()

Erik Søe Sørensen eriksoe@REDACTED
Fri Jul 13 10:35:48 CEST 2012

Oh, but you do have a choice between more than one time source in Erlang:
now() - as known, for microsecond-precision and uniqueness
erlang:universaltime() and friends - for second-precision and YMD-HMS
format.
os:timestamp() - for microsecond-precision but without uniqueness and time
correction.

For many places where you could use now() but simply need a timestamp for
logging or the like, os:timestamp() might be more appropriate and a bit
more lightweight. Its return type is compatible with that of now().