[erlang-questions] Local namespaces in case/try

Michael Turner michael.eugene.turner@REDACTED
Tue Jul 10 13:43:30 CEST 2012

I agree with Richard's reasoning, though I'm not sure I agree 100%
with his prescription, in part because the following expression
compiles just fine, even if it means something slightly different. If
breaking the passage into two functions seems artificial, so what? You
don't need to do that.
-------
case do_something() of
     {error, Error} -> Error;
     {ok, Result} ->
          case do_another() of
              {ok, Result} -> Result;
              {error, Error} -> Error
          end
end
-------

And it's a difference that makes a (good) difference: why are you
throwing out the first Error value anyway? If the first case/end
clause throws away its values, why not just have "case do_something()
of {error, _} -> ok; {ok, _} -> ok end", with a reasonable exception
being thrown only when you don't get either of those two to match? And
if you REALLY don't care what do_something/0 returns here, just call
it w/o checking return value.

-michael turner