[erlang-questions] Local namespaces in case/try

Dmitry Groshev lambdadmitry@REDACTED
Tue Jul 10 12:00:01 CEST 2012

Exactly what I was talking about. I can't see any sense in bloating the
code with nonsensical functions just to get something let-like -- AFAIK,
every functional language out there has a local namespace for such
constructs. Moreover, there is a huge inconsistency right now with list
comprehensions that have their own namespace because of their
transformation to functions:

test1() ->
    [begin
         _A = X,
         ok
     end || X <- [1, 2, 3]],
    _A = 1.

test2() ->
    case 2 of
        _A -> _A
    end,
    _A = 1.

I think it's a sign of a bigger problem with Erlang as a language: we have
an amazing BEAM, some brilliant libraries, a lot of godlike developers, but
Erlang as a language evolves extremely slow. One reason that I can think
about is a lack of ultimate authority that can decide what is right and
what is wrong — theoretically there is a EEP process (and some proposals
are out of EEPs scope, like an e2 thing), but in practice some EEPs are
here for years (like Frames proposal or JSON BIFs) and nothing really moves
on.