[erlang-questions] Erlang and cloud computing

Adrian Roe roe.adrian@REDACTED
Tue Jan 31 19:28:57 CET 2012

We (id3as) have worked in cloud for a while and have used Erlang for all of
our cloud management tasks for the last couple of years with great success
- it's very well suited to the job.  During that time we've worked with
many of the major cloud providers on both Windows and Linux platforms
and  would  be happy to share experiences.  I suspect that's best done off
list unless there is wide interest, but in a one sentence summary would
steer you at Amazon if you have highly dynamic load requirements and Linux
if you have the choice (the costs per hour are much lower for equivalent
servers).

Amazon (in our experience at least) have been streets ahead of the other
vendors when the number of servers varies widely and rapidly - for example
some of our solutions range from running on 3~4 servers at some points of
the day rising up to ~1000 at times of peak load.  If you don't need such a
dynamic solution (i.e. your server load is far more constant) then there is
less to choose between vendors.

Kind regards

Adrian
*Dr Adrian Roe*