[erlang-questions] Erlang in the browser

Joe Armstrong erlang@REDACTED
Tue Jan 31 14:31:41 CET 2012

On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 11:56 AM, Fredrik Svahn <fredrik.svahn@REDACTED> wrote:
> Hi Joe,
>
> The Erlang list [1, 2, 3] is represented as js native objects {value:
> 1, next: {value: 2, next: {value: 3, next:nil}}}. The size of a string
> represented as a list is 40 bytes per character in Chromium on my
> x86_64 machine (I do not know if the size would be smaller on a 32 bit
> machine).

How do you know that it is 40 bytes/character? - in fact how do you know the
internal size of any JS object. if I say x = {abc:123, def:"xyz", ...}
etc. how big is this
object in memory - there must be some hidden pointers associated with
x, but without reading
the code for the JS emulator it would be difficult to say how large it is.

> The corresponding number for beam is 16 bytes/char for
> x86_64, I believe, so it is more wasteful as expected. I have
> considered mapping it to js arrays but haven't done any measurements.
> This is just a small script so I did not want to write my own GC, also
> mapping to native objects is better if I later would like to make it
> possible to compile performance critical beams to native javascript
> code.

If memory were a problem you'd need to write the GC and use the beam
memory model ..

/Joe