[erlang-questions] Exmpp gen_fsm, sync_send_event, timeout exception

Robert Virding <>
Thu Jan 19 17:36:52 CET 2012

gen_fsm:sync_send_event/2 has a default timeout of 5000ms which means that if it doesn't get a reply from the FSM within that time the function generates an error and the process crashes. This seems like what has happened to you. One solution is to use gen_fsm:sync_send_event/3 where you can set the timeout value. Another is to find out why the FSM is taking so long time and if there is anything you can do about it.