[erlang-questions] error in hipe_ppc_bifs.S - building R15B on OS X 10.4.11

Kostis Sagonas kostis@REDACTED
Tue Jan 17 09:01:52 CET 2012

On 01/16/12 15:54, Toby Thain wrote:
> Is this known to be broken?
>
> After a plain ./configure; make of otp_src_R15B:
>
> powerpc-apple-darwin8.11.0/opt/smp/hipe_ppc_bifs.S:457:Parameter syntax
> error (parameter 3)
>
> ...and hundreds more occurrences.

Unfortunately, since August 2011, we do not have access to a machine
running (an ancient version of) darwin so we cannot routinely test the
PPC back-end of HiPE.

The change that breaks the make process was introduced in October 2011

https://github.com/erlang/otp/commits/master/erts/emulator/hipe/hipe_ppc_bifs.m4

but I am absolutely sure that the developer that did this tested his
change on his system before committing it. So, I think this is probably
due to differences in tools used to make the system (either in m4 or in
the assembler) on different versions of OS X.

In any case, as mentioned in another mail, a patch that fixes the issue
is available at:

	https://trac.macports.org/ticket/32649

Perhaps somebody with access to a machine with OS X can verify that this
works.  We should make sure that this gets included in R15B01.  I am
cc:ing Sverker @ OTP.

Kostis