[erlang-questions] Should I use arrays to optimize?

Pierpaolo Bernardi olopierpa@REDACTED
Wed Feb 29 16:20:48 CET 2012

On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 16:13, Richard Evans
<richardprideauxevans@REDACTED> wrote:
> I need to store a list of records. Sometimes I need to update the nth member
> in that list. Each record is quite large (hundreds of bytes). I have
> hundreds of such records.
>
> I am currently using an erlang list and using lists:keyreplace to update the
> nth member in the list. But this gets slow as the list gets larger, so I
> want to optimize and use something which overwrites rather than copies.
>
> Should I use the array module for this? If not, what do you recommend?

a gb-tree with keys in 1..n.

Or a random-access list.  Not in stdlib, but several implementations
floating around, including one from me. Ask me if you don't find one.