[erlang-questions] Key-value stores and value part

Sat Feb 25 17:24:06 CET 2012

On 2/25/12 3:37 AM, Vinayak Pawar wrote:

> Question: is it possible to store values in KV store so that I don't
> have to update the KV store whenever there is change in tuple
> structure? store values in JSON form?

The "Trick" is to version your values. That is, given data

{E1, E2}

you build a tagged variant:

{'version1', {E1, E2}}

Now when you need to alter the structure, you change the version tag:

{'version2', {E1, E2, E3}}

and henceforth, when you load the data from the underlying store, you
define a function that is akin to a code_change/3 function in a gen_server:

data_change({'version1', {E1, E2}}) ->
   produce_version2_structure_here;
data_change({'version2', {E1, E2, E3}}) ->
   {E1, E2, E3].

This means you now factorize every load of your data through
data_change/1 and you always store data in the newest version you know
about. This means you can lazily update your data as you go along
processing them. You can also force a persist in the new version right
away so subsequent reads will get the new version.

This is not a new idea. To a certain extent this is what Facebook does
with their data as they have too much in their store to be able to
convert all of it. It also means you can do database changes easily:
First make your erlang code cope with the new format. Then gradually
change the data store to the new format.

It takes some more work, but this is one way to do it.

--
Jesper Louis Andersen
   Erlang Solutions Ltd., Copenhagen, DK