[erlang-questions] Dialyzer: Why do I get a 'will never return success typing error' with this recursive function?

Jeremy Raymond jeraymond@REDACTED
Fri Feb 24 13:36:25 CET 2012

Hello,

When I dialyze this function

test(noloop) ->
    ok;
test(loop) ->
    test(loop). % dialyzer warns about this call

Dialyzer gives me the warning, "The call dialyzer_err:test('loop') will never return since it differs in the 1st argument from the success typing arguments: ('noloop')".

If I move the recursive call to a different function the warning does away

test(noloop) ->
    ok;
test(loop) ->
    do_loop(loop).

do_loop(loop) ->
    do_loop(loop).

Functionally these look like they're doing the same thing to me. Why does dialyzer have issue with the first version of the function?

--
Jeremy