[erlang-questions] Delivery of messages

Joe Armstrong erlang@REDACTED
Thu Feb 23 19:28:58 CET 2012

Tricky question.

What about time and if the system is very very very slow?

Assume nothing is observed to be broken - you'd have to ask "with no
observations that indicate failure can we assume messages are delivered
within some time T" - but Erlang has no notion of delivering a message
with time T.

The Erlang programming model assumes that in the absence of evidence to
the contrary then messages between a single pair of processes will be
delivered in the order they were transmitted. The underlying
infrastructure is supposed to guantee this - but it would be
impossibly to prove this correct.

Also the destination process must always be available to receive a message
but even if the destination process has not crashed there might be a logic
error in the code so that it would never receive the message (again
which could not be proved)

I use a weaker condition - it you want to be sure that a process
received a message then send a reply back, once you have received the
reply you know
the message was received. You don't have to do this for every message
but whenever you feel appropriate.

/Joe