[erlang-questions] Why are messages between processes copied?

Lukas Larsson lukas@REDACTED
Thu Feb 23 09:22:32 CET 2012

Not sure what you mean by moving structures as opposed to copying?

Using escape analysis to determine if the whole message should be
copied or only a reference would require a rewrite of the GC from
copy-and-collect to something like mark and sweep. And I'm doubtful
that many cases could be identified where a none of the terms part of
the data sent would be kept in the process sending the message.

Lukas