[erlang-questions] Misultin EOL

Benoit Chesneau bchesneau@REDACTED
Sat Feb 18 12:18:58 CET 2012

On Sat, Feb 18, 2012 at 12:05 AM, Andrew Berman <rexxe98@REDACTED> wrote:
> I think a lot of issues with APIs would be solved if we had something
> analogous to Java interfaces in Erlang.  Behaviors just don't cut it.  I
> want something that is a replica of interfaces.  Then all the Erlang guys
> have to do is create the interface and then people can create whatever
> implementations they want and I never have to worry about changing my code!

In python world we have WSGI that define a common spec to interface
Python application with the web. Defining how server should handle
requests to and return response from applications. Also defining how
the requests/responses should be formatted for the apps.

There are many servers and many libs/frameworks handling the spec.
Only the code quality, the technical differences and features distinct
them.  I guess somethng like that could be defined in Erlang with a
lib reference to test the validaty and validate servers and libs
behaviour (just like wsgiref in Python). Same exist with Rack in ruby
world and probably in other language.

Maybe that something that could be done. It would at least simplify a
lot the work of apps developers.

- benoît