[erlang-questions] Multiple db connection drivers

Garrett Smith g@REDACTED
Fri Feb 17 16:13:11 CET 2012

Hi Erisa,

On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 8:15 AM, Erisa Dervishi <erisa85d@REDACTED> wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> I am an erlang newbie, and I am doing a survey on existing Erlang db access
> drivers. I am most interested in drivers that can handle and process
> multiple concurrent db requests. Are there any working Erlang multithread db
> access drivers for MySql or PostgreSQL? What about BerkleyDB? Or any other
> Erlang driver that can handle db requests in parallel?
> There are plenty of drivers out there, but no documentation at all, and I am
> not experienced enough to find out the ones I'm interested in.
> I would be really glad if you could provide me some links or valuable
> suggestions.

Erlang has so many amazing features and benefits, it's hard to keep track!

Database interfaces, however, is not on that list :)

That's a broad, sweeping statement that leaves me open to easy
criticism! But I think if you're coming from a Java or .NET
background, it's hard to not scratch your head at the state of the
available libraries.

Erisa, I would suggest first identifying which database(s) you'd like
to target, and then dig into what's available. You are likely to find
something that works, even works very well. If it's not clear which
database to look at, post your use cases and you'll probably get a
deluge of suggestions here.

Keep in mind that Erlang does not have a tradition of "ORMs" the way
Java, Ruby, Python, etc. do. You'll need to dive into the details of
whatever data stores you end up working with. I personally think this
is a benefit, but it does take more energy up front to consider your
requirements and learn the technology.

Garrett