[erlang-questions] Misultin EOL

Roberto Ostinelli roberto@REDACTED
Thu Feb 16 16:56:28 CET 2012

Dear list,

Misultin development has been discontinued.

There currently are three main webserver *libraries* which basically do
similar things:

   - Mochiweb <https://github.com/mochi/mochiweb>
   - Cowboy <https://github.com/extend/cowboy>
   - Misultin <https://github.com/ostinelli/misultin>

Especially since the recent heavy development of Cowboy's HTTP server, I
believe there is way too much duplication of efforts going on here. This is
why Misultin's current 'state of the art' has been frozen in the latest
tag, v0.9 <https://github.com/ostinelli/misultin/tree/misultin-0.9>, to
support all the companies currently using Misultin in their production
environment. I'm here to provide help, if needed, in moving away from it.
Thus, this server should be robust and stable enough to continue serving
your needs for some time.

Instead of letting this library stand on github without notice, and getting
developers still use this project, I have preferred to explicitly state to
gradually move away from it, so that efforts can be concentrated around one
server library only. It's hard enough to let one 'child' like this one go,
but I believe it's best for the whole Erlang community. There are many ways
to try to help each other in the community, I believe this decision is now
for the better.

*Mochiweb* has been around the block for a while and it's proven solid in
production, I can only recommend it for all basic webserver needs you might
have. *Cowboy* has a very interesting approach since it allows to use
multiple TCP and UDP protocols on top of a common acceptor pool. It is a
very modern approach, is very actively maintained and many projects are
starting to be built around it.

I'll personally concentrate my efforts around Cowboy, simply because the
projects I'm involved in often require multiple procotols. I really hope
that it'll live up to the expectations that I'm putting into this.

Thank you to everyone that has been supporting Misultin in these years.
Hopefully its *code usability*, which I still believe to be unmatched
(well, I have developed it so how could I feel differently about this ^^_),
will provide inspiration for some library interfaces.

Best to you all,

r.