[erlang-questions] The future of Erlang and BEAM

Miles Fidelman mfidelman@REDACTED
Mon Feb 13 19:53:48 CET 2012

Matthew Evans wrote:

> I think that what needs to be asked long term is where do we see
> Erlang been used? Will it just be a niche language, used in certain
> specific situations? Or do we see it becoming more of a general
> purpose language?

I can answer that at least from the point of view of what I'm looking at
it for:

- highly distributed applications and services (e.g., a network of
Jabber servers, RabbitMQ)

- a platform for applications with high concurrency (e.g., CouchDB)

- modeling and simulation / massively multiplayer games (i.e, anything
that is conceptually a massively concurrent application)

- high-availability service environments (i.e., carrier-class telecom
apps - where Erlang has its roots)

Beyond that, personally, does it need to be general purpose?  (For that
matter, what does it mean to be general purpose these days?)

Miles Fidleman