[erlang-questions] Run queue reportings

Fred Hebert mononcqc@REDACTED
Mon Feb 6 21:21:46 CET 2012

Hey there, mailing list.

I've got a quick question for you. We've been using
erlang:statistics(run_queue) to have one of many ways to measure overload
on a system. The documentation for the function says the following:

run_queue
    Returns the length of the run queue, that is, the number of processes
that are ready to run.

I was wondering if this has any relationship to the run queues used by the
schedulers ([rq:N] when starting the VM in pre R15 Erlang releases). And if
so, is the value obtained by the function call representing the union of
all run queues, or only the run queue(s) of the scheduler executing the
call? How reliable can we consider this information to be?

Regards,
Fred.