[erlang-questions] sharing a binary when decoding?

Jesper Louis Andersen <>
Fri Feb 3 15:20:02 CET 2012

On 2/3/12 2:12 PM, Anthony Shipman wrote:
> What I have in mind will have large binaries that are decoded from
> socket data. I was hoping that this wouldn't duplicate the data.
The binary might be compressed and in that case it is not possible to
use the sub-binary representation. In other words, you are not
guaranteed that it uses sub-binaries, but an implementation may choose
to do so in some cases.

My recommendation would be to decode once and then go with that.
Decoding is usually extremely fast.

Jesper Louis Andersen
   Erlang Solutions Ltd., Copenhagen, DK