[erlang-questions] newbie question: multiple shells, same VM?

Ngoc Dao ngocdaothanh@REDACTED
Thu Feb 2 10:49:09 CET 2012

Yes this is possible.
Erlang is very famous for this feature.

1. In a console, start a node:
erl -sname mynode1 -setcookie mypassword

A prompt like this will appear:
(mynode1@REDACTED)1>

ngoc is my computer name.

2. In another console connect to that node:
erl -sname mynode2 -setcookie mypassword -remsh mynode1@REDACTED

If you want to run the first node in background:
erl -sname mynode1 -setcookie mypassword -detached

Each node is like a virtual machine, virtual machine in the sense of
virtual OS in cloud computing.

Ngoc