[erlang-questions] Deploying on a server with different architecture and version of Erlang

Vineet Naik <>
Fri Dec 14 11:35:55 CET 2012

Now that I have successfully built a release of my app using rebar, I am
stuck at
deploying the packaged release because the server I want to deploy to has
version of erlang and different architecture from my development machine.

Development Env
i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
Erlang R14B04

Remote Server
x86_64 GNU/Linux
Erlang R13B03

I tried compiling on the server but it's failing with a series of errors
such as

ERROR: Unable to generate spec: Mandatory application kernel is not
included in [{app,crypto,false,undefined,

I have two questions:

1. Is this due to the old version of erlang? And considering that I have
ejabberd and rabbitmq-server running in production on the same server
can I upgrade erlang to R14B04 on it without having to take them down for

2. What is the recommended strategy for developing and deploying erlang
code on
differently configured servers?