[erlang-questions] ANN: ezwebframe - an easy web framework

Joe Armstrong <>
Thu Dec 13 11:17:14 CET 2012

Pronounced "Easy web frame."

Ezwebframe attempts to make web programming just a little bit easier.

>From Erlang point of view the browser *is* an Erlang process.

Assume we have a web page populated with divs. For example:

Erlang thinks the browser is a process. To fill div a with HTML an
Erlang process evaluates the command:

     Browser ! [{cmd, fill_div}, {id, a}, {txt, B}]

Where B is a binary containing HTML.

In the browser controls can be programmed to send messages to Erlang,
for example, when we click on a button in the browser the Erlang
process controlling the window will be sent a message which can be
received with the statement:

       {Browser, {struct, [{clicked, ButtonName}]}} ->

All this is achieved using a thin JSON layer over websockets and
with cowboy managing the websockets.