[erlang-questions] time consuming operations inside gen_server

Martin Dimitrov mrtndimitrov@REDACTED
Wed Dec 12 10:27:42 CET 2012

Hi all,

In our application, we have a gen_server that does a time consuming
operation. The message is of type cast thus the caller process doesn't
sit and wait for the operation to finish. But while the gen_server is
busy with the cast message, it doesn't serve any other call, right?

So, would it be appropriate to create a process that will do the time
consuming operation and then notify the gen_server?

Thanks for looking into this.

Best regards,
Martin