[erlang-questions] Licensing an Erlang/Emacs Lisp project

Thomas Järvstrand thomas.jarvstrand@REDACTED
Fri Aug 31 23:42:02 CEST 2012

On Fri, Aug 31, 2012 at 6:05 PM, Ulf Wiger <ulf@REDACTED> wrote:

> On 31 Aug 2012, at 15:59, Thomas Järvstrand wrote:
>
> I'm currently working on a project that is a combination of Erlang and
> Emacs Lisp. The project is currently open sourced under the LGPL but I
> recently realized that some of the submodules I use are under GPL (the
> elisp ones) and so I believe I have to change my licensing.
>

> If you include code that is GPL, then you are pretty much stuck with
> GPL:ing your whole project.
>
> You don't need to worry much about Erlang, though. It remains under its
> own license
> (nothing you do can alter the license of somebody else's components).
> Erlang's
> license is not contageous, and you are allowed to write Erlang code and
> release it as
> GPL (popular examples are PropEr and Ejabberd).
>
> If you want to get fancy, you can meditate over the Mozilla Public License
> 2.0,
> and its wording on compatibility with (L)GPL, but if you're ok with GPL,
> perhaps
> you should just go with that.
>
> BR,
> Ulf W
>
> Ulf Wiger, Co-founder & Developer Advocate, Feuerlabs Inc.
> http://feuerlabs.com
>
> Thank you for your reply.

Correct me if I'm wrong but as far as I've understood it, writing a program
to be run in the erlang vm is fine since that qualifies in GPL as being
system libraries. The problem supposedly is that the moment you call one of
the otp standard libraries you're toast since that is the equivalent of
dynamic linking, meaning that in practice it's not really feasible to
license an Erlang project under GPL?

Regards
Thomas