[erlang-questions] What do you like the most about Erlang/OTP?

Fred Hebert mononcqc@REDACTED
Wed Aug 29 03:55:07 CEST 2012

That's a tough one, because I want to avoid the general "processes! they
good!"

1. Understandability

I don't mean 'readability'. I strongly believed the two concepts are
somewhat exclusive. Poetry can be beautiful and fun to read, while not
being able to understand the underlying meaning.

Erlang, through OTP, allows to break down application in quickly
understandable parts. I can pick many OTP projects (given they're broken
in OTP apps), check at the dependencies, and figure out what is the top
level, what is lower-level, and break all the fragments individually
into something manageable, that I can hold in my head.

This does mean easier maintainability, because pretty much all aspects
of maintenance have 'understanding the code base' as a prerequisite. The
easier things are to figure out, the better I am.

2. Growing a System

Through Fault tolerance and OTP apps allows me to keep a system
functional even when imperfect or buggy. This is great because none of
the software I write will be bug free, nor satisfactory to the customer
in the first few iterations.

Being able to do hot code loading, shut down or restart only part of a
node (due to OTP apps) during a deployment, inspect it while it runs,
connect to various nodes, etc. is all awesome. And everything works with
or without GUIs so I can check anything even from my smartphones, away
from home, if things go wrong.

Overall I see it as a very good environment from a devops perspective.