[erlang-questions] Why does Erlang have control structures?

Volodymyr Kyrychenko vladimir.kirichenko@REDACTED
Wed Aug 29 01:04:36 CEST 2012

Jayson Barley wrote:
> I am not sure I understand why we have them. For instance I can take the
> following code
>
> is_greater_than(X, Y) ->
>     if
>         X>Y ->
>             true;
>         true -> % works as an 'else' branch
>             false
>     end.
>
> And make it
>
> is_true(true) ->
>     true;
> is_true(false) ->
>     false.
>
> is_greater_than(X, Y) ->
>     is_true(X>Y).

Because erlang has no call-by-name/need.

What you're proposing exists in Smalltalk.

x ifTrue: [ code ]

In erlang for this to work it should be like:

if_(X>Y, fun() -> do something end, fun() ->
this_is_else_for_something_to_return_if_not end).

For this to work without having to wrap everything into funs there
should be lazy evaluation order in the language.

--
Volodymyr Kyrychenko