[erlang-questions] What do you like the most about Erlang/OTP?

Motiejus Jakštys desired.mta@REDACTED
Mon Aug 27 22:53:07 CEST 2012

On Mon, Aug 27, 2012 at 10:34 PM, Loïc Hoguin <essen@REDACTED> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am wondering what you guys like the most about Erlang/OTP, especially
> newcomers, maybe it changed your life, allowed you to climb the Everest (or
> at least sleep at night).

Hi,
killer feature for me is possibilities to interact with running system.

You can send arbitrary messages to arbitraty processes, call arbitraty
functions, restart anything by hand. This gives utmost flexibility to
inspect and fix a running system.

$ erl -setcookie company_name -sname d
> net_kernel:connect_node(db@REDACTED).
true
> rpc:call(db@REDACTED, yodadb, how_are_you, []).
{still_alive, [some, stuff], but_soon_will_die, [why]}. ...

--
Motiejus Jakštys