[erlang-questions] Password generator in Erlang

Jeremey Barrett jbarrett@REDACTED
Fri Aug 17 17:00:03 CEST 2012

Hi all... if you want pseudo-random bytes, use crypto:rand_bytes() or crypto:strong_rand_bytes(), depending on your security requirements. rand_bytes() calls OpenSSL's RAND_pseudo_bytes(), and strong_rand_bytes() calls OpenSSL's RAND_bytes(). Read up on them for more info.

strong_rand_bytes() will return an error if insufficient entropy is present. rand_bytes() will "just do it", which may not be what you want.

OpenSSL is widely deployed, trusted, etc. The built-in wrappers in Erlang are very convenient, just use them. The crypto community has been over and over this for two decades. I cannot stress enough the value of just using a trusted, open implementation vs. fretting over details that may or may not be relevant. There are so many factors you cannot account for otherwise.

Regards,
Jeremey.