[erlang-questions] UDP client/server performance

Mike Oxford moxford@REDACTED
Mon Aug 13 21:56:23 CEST 2012

Erlang will be slower and will consume more memory than C.  That's pretty
much par for the course due to type munging and layers between you and the
hardware, including the VM itself.  Some are using libevent through an
Erlang port to get around this.

You can also try "when I receive a packet, spawn an unlinked process to do
the reply" which may unblock things.  (Not sure, haven't profiled it
myself.)
Writing C directly to low-level structures is known to be much faster than
the Erlang VM.  You can also see this in action at
http://www.metabrew.com/article/a-million-user-comet-application-with-mochiweb-part-3

-mox