[erlang-questions] Sock.js and Cowboy - Example

Jai Gupta <>
Thu Aug 9 05:23:24 CEST 2012

I am new to both Sock.js and Erlang/Cowboy. I am trying to run a example.

I have already install Erlang on Mac.
$ erl
Erlang R15B01 (erts-5.9.1) [source] [smp:4:4] [async-threads:0] [hipe]
Eshell V5.9.1  (abort with ^G)

I am trying to run a simple echo example from my app.

%% -*- erlang -*-

{erl_opts, [debug_info]}. %, fail_on_warning]}.

    {sockjs, ".*", {git, "git://github.com/sockjs/sockjs-erlang.git",
{branch, "master"}}}

Note that dependency is in following way. My app has dependency on Sockjs
which has dependency on Cowboy which has dependency on Proper.
$ ./rebar get-deps
After above command I get 3 folders in my deps folder. cowboy, proper &
$ ./rebar compile

I am getting following error.

$ ./deps/sockjs/examples/cowboy_echo.erl
escript: exception error: undefined function sockjs_handler:init_state/4
  in function  cowboy_echo:main/1 (./deps/sockjs/examples/cowboy_echo.erl,
line 17)
  in call from escript:run/2 (escript.erl, line 727)
  in call from escript:start/1 (escript.erl, line 277)
  in call from init:start_it/1
  in call from init:start_em/1

I have also tried coping cowboy_echo.erl to ./src/ folder but it gives same

Are there any pointers that can help me?

Note: I can successfully run this example if I directly use sockjs-erlang
rebar.config but I want to run it on my app which describes sockjs as