[erlang-questions] beam.smp is killed by oom

Gustav Simonsson gustav.simonsson@REDACTED
Tue Aug 7 11:14:53 CEST 2012

If you disable the Linux oom-killer and allow the BEAM to consume memory until it
crashes when a memory allocator cannot allocate more memory, you should get a
Erlang dump [1] which will contain process information such as heap size and
message queue size for your Erlang processes. You can then (hopefully) find
certain processes which had large message queues and/or had large heaps.

Another way, if you are doing load testing where you can control the number of
connections, is to gradually increase the number of connections while looking at
message queue length, heap size and other process properties using the observer app [2].

1. http://www.erlang.org/doc/apps/erts/crash_dump.html
2. http://www.erlang.org/doc/apps/observer/observer_ug.html

// Gustav

Sent from my PC