[erlang-questions] Why does compile:forms spawn a linked process?

Björn Gustavsson <>
Mon Aug 6 12:23:16 CEST 2012

On Fri, Aug 3, 2012 at 2:40 PM, Jeremy Heater
<> wrote:

> Is there a particular reason spawn_link is used here instead of
> calling internal(Input, Opts) directly? For our application it is less
> practical, but is there some reason justifying its use?

Yes, there are several good reasons for running the compilation in
a temporary process. There is no good reason for leaving an
EXIT message in the caller's message queue, however, so in
R15B02 the temporary process will be monitored instead of linked.