[erlang-questions] zlib: how many bytes were used during the uncompression (one call of zlib:inflate/2)

CGS cgsmcmlxxv@REDACTED
Fri Aug 3 13:56:42 CEST 2012

Hi,

The reason you get no answer is because nobody can know the answer. And the
reason no one can know the answer is that you haven't provided any
information about what you have as compressed data. For example, a simple
text can be compressed to in between 30% and 80% from its decompressed size
(these numbers are not official, just examples), so, when deflated, the
size can reach from 1.25 to 3.33 times the size of compressed text size.
>From my own experience (these are simple observations only), the range of
compression is in between 10% and 100% (no compression could be applied)
from the uncompressed data size. That means, the range of deflated data
size is from 1 to 10 times the size of compressed data. Again, these
numbers are for the sake of discussion and may not apply for your case.

You can find more info about zlib from:
http://zlib.net/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zlib
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LZ77 (LZ77 only)