[erlang-questions] correct terminology for referring to strings

Michael Turner michael.eugene.turner@REDACTED
Wed Aug 1 09:32:57 CEST 2012

On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 1:33 PM, Richard O'Keefe <ok@REDACTED> wrote:

> On 31/07/2012, at 9:53 PM, Michael Turner wrote:
>
>>> << An Erlang "string" is simply a list of integers.  Each integer can
>>> represent any Unicode codepoint/character. >>
>>
>> Except that Unicode codepoints represents characters, right?
>
> Wrong.

Actually, what's *really* wrong in my statement is the grammar -- bad
plural agreement.

> One Unicode codepoint may represent what a particular language
> views as two distinct graphemes.  (This occurs in encoding English,
> for example: in 'belovéd' the diacritical mark is a stress accent
> and so é counts as two separate graphemes.)

[snip much more]

I'm certain this is correct, Richard, but ... what problem are we
trying to solve again? IIRC: Joe is trying to come up with a short
passage that explains what strings are, in Erlang. If he writes all
that you wrote above, the reader (who might have been initially
excited about Erlang) will come away with the impression, "Erlang
people are excruciatingly pedantic".

> I keep meaning to write a small book called "Strings Made Difficult."

Sounds like you're the man to do it, Richard.

As I wrote earlier:

>> << In Erlang, strings are represented as lists of integers. These
>> integers are Unicode codepoints, each representing a character. >>
>>
>> That way, anybody who's unclear on what "codepoint" means gets a
>> freebie definition of it. In the Unicode context, it's probably wrong,
>> technically, but perhaps good enough for this purpose.

Can anyone tell me why this *wouldn't* serve Joe's (== the typical
reader's) purposes? [*]

-michael turner

[*] Why do I suspect we're now going to have a long digression on
whether the "==" in  "(== the typical reader's)" should really be
"=:="?