[erlang-questions] Resisting "noconnection" / Remote termination of nodes

Kannan vasdeveloper@REDACTED
Thu Apr 26 12:34:39 CEST 2012

Hi Olivier,

In distributed computing, we see the collective effort of individual -- but
not independent -- nodes. Communicating nodes, at any point in time, need
to be connected and should have the knowledge of the other, including the
availability status. The OAM node, or leader, will have the total picture
of all the nodes.

You have to look at the bigger picture of the whole system, when it comes
to stopping a distributed system. The following steps are generally taken
to tear down a system.

* Signal all the nodes of a forthcoming shutdown request
* Stop accepting new requests
* Finish servicing the accepted requests
* Do the stock taking and clean-up
* Check the readiness of all the nodes for shutdown
* Then call shutdown on all the nodes.

Here, I am looking from top into the system. The shutdown process will be
generally coordinated by a single process.

An ad-hock shutdown is more scary to me in a production environment.

Kind Regards,
Kannan.