[erlang-questions] Type inference in Erlang [WAS: Re: The compiler "eats" structures which are not separated by commas]

Vlad Dumitrescu vladdu55@REDACTED
Mon Apr 23 20:49:45 CEST 2012

On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 17:05, Ulf Wiger <ulf@REDACTED> wrote:
> Since Vlad in a different thread mentioned that Dialyzer's was too slow to be incorporated into the compilation flow, I took some time to do some measurements to prove him wrong. Unfortunately, calling dialyzer_cl:run(…) with only one file (gproc.beam) given an up-to-date PLC took 3.5 seconds, of which most of the time seemed to be spent inside the actual analysis in dialyzer_analysis_callgraph. I gave up at that point, since my initial assumption was not so easily proven as I had hoped.
>
> Since the entire compilation of gproc.erl takes ca 320 ms on my machine, even reducing the runtime of Dialyzer by 10x would mean a doubling of the compilation time. Granted, my investigation was shallow to say the least, and on this point, I sincerely hope I am wrong. Also, as long as it's an option, even 3.5 secs might actually be quite reasonable sometimes.

I would have been the first to be happy to be proved wong on that! :-)
There is the additional problem that running an analysis on a full
system is worse than linear on the number of functions (I won't hazard
into guessing if it's polynomial or even worse, Kostis can give us the
right answer), compounded (for us) by the fact that the SGSN/MME node
is on par in size with the AXE (i.e. many tens of thousands of
functions)...

best regards,
Vlad